Sunday, November 15, 2009

Bringin Bunny Back


11/11/09 Today all the Animator formation was in Kinyarwanda, so I did a lot of praying for the group. However, we shared some more good times cutting out cardboard stars. And, as our icebreaker before we began, I taught the group "bunny bunny." Yes, it has now been spread transatlantic…get ready world. It was really funny, everyone was laughing a lot, so I'm glad it was a success! I was sort of worried it would be too complex. Not so. Then, John, the coordinator for the Animators, busted out some crazy French song that everyone knew. We danced around in a little circle with coordinated moves, and at some point the words were "I'm looking for the prettiest girl who will dance with me" or something, and the leader grabs a lady and everybody links arms with a partner and dances around. I was happy to be chosen as the pretty lady, yay! John led a couple more, then Sr. Charlotte whipped out some similar Kinyarwanda chant/song/dances. It was so cool doing these with them, even though I was learning on-the-spot. Everyone just gets so into it with a huge smile on their face, and singing dancing with all their might – especially the guys! And mind you, this is outside, so naturally anybody who is walking by stops and looks at us. Now, a note about the surroundings. We are hosting Patronage at Muhato parish, which has several halls in which we can host the Animator formation. But outside there is an ongoing process of demolishing old houses that were once on the property. There are always workers outside with shovels and rickety old wheelbarrows that look like they could collapse at any moment. It seems to be the most inefficient way to clear out bricks, but people come and go with little cushions to put on their heads so they can carry bricks out. Even little kids come to carry bricks – that's the sad part that I hate to see. I don't know if their parents are sending them to work, or if they just have nothing else to do since school is not in session. But no little child should have to carry bricks on their head either to work or to fill vacant hours of the day.
The Animators really like to ask me about differences between here and the States. Today the first question I received was "In the United States, its very easy to get money, yes?" I had to explain that no, its not, and actually right now there are many people without jobs. They also asked me about the weather and what snow is like. Its kind of crazy because there will be a commotion of Kinyarwanda, and then all of a sudden I hear a "Jacqui" interspersed in there. So then I ask what they're saying about me, and like 3 people will answer all at once. I've noticed that people tend to interrupt me a lot when I talk…this might be an American politeness difference. Its actually quite humorous – I was explaining the weather in America, and during my explanation someone else asked me what the weather is like at home. I just laughed and replied, "I am telling you…you have to listen…"
Sr. Charlotte and I again had a wonderful time getting supplies ready for tomorrow's formation. As we sorted and boxed things, she taught me the Kinyarwanda words to one of the Mass songs that I know the tune to but don't know the words. Now I know the words :) We have a really fun time together, especially with things concerning music. I find that we tend to make a rhythm/beat out of things, such as walking and talking, and then just take it and run and we end up laughing up a storm. She also had me practice the little dance that people do during Mass, since I told her that I've always wanted to join but am too self-conscious. So we danced, and it was good. I think I'm gonna ask her if she'll stand up and do it with me tomorrow.
We ate umugari for lunch and dinner today – very good and very traditional! Its polenta made from cassava root. I’m not entirely sure what polenta is, but it looks like a heap of bread dough made from the cassava flour. You take a heap, pour some tomato-fish sauce on your plate, along with cooked greens, and a piece of boiled fish (still with scales and eyes and bones…fresh from Lake Kivu!). Then you use your hands to break off a piece of the polenta and dip it in the sauce, and you grab some greens and fish while you're at it. It was so goooood. We've eaten fish surprisingly few times here, but it always tastes so amazing…I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment