Sunday, November 15, 2009

First formation with the Animators






11/9/09 So, we're putting on a 'vacation bible school' called Patronage for all the neighborhood kids, and high schoolers are invited to be Animateurs, or junior camp counselors. They receive some training and special faith formation, which began today. This was so amazing…so, first, a bit about the laxity of time here. My lessons with the Father's have never started more than 10 minutes late, and I've learned to expect things to start much later than planned. It really doesn't get to me, I just bring a book to read or something. I've heard stories from enough people who've studied abroad and have been really frustrated with this aspect of many other cultures, so I've learned to not let it frustrate me! Well, today the Animateurs were supposed to arrive at 8am. Dear Felicien, our youngest Animateur whom you'll hear more about, was there promptly, early even which is probably waaaay unheard of, and he was all ready with his notebook and folder, ready to learn. Well, we decided we should wait for more to show up. After 30 minutes or so we had a second, and finally at 9am we had 5 total and began our formation. Wow. We seriously sat around and did nothing, just chatted, for an hour. That would never happen in the States – if people are no-show's for 15, maybe 20 minutes, the whole thing would have just been cancelled!
I absolutely LOVED working with the Animateurs! First of all, during a little conversation with Felicien, I learned the Kinyarwanda words for physics, chemistry, math, and "bless you" if someone sneezes. I don't know the French word for "sneeze" so I was just demonstrating it to get him to understand what I was asking. But he really didn't get it until after repeated demonstrations. It was probably quite a sight too see but ah well, s'all good. I have since forgotten all of these words except chemistry (uwatambili?), even after Felicien reminded me again the next day… Felicien is such a funny little guy, he's 16 years old, and is a bit quiet, but he was just laughing at me as I struggled to pronounce these words. He's pretty soft-spoken, as I've found most Rwandans are, but we really had a nice conversation. Plus, he wants to be a priest! He's very dedicated, as suggested by his promptness and preparedness.
We all played Concentration and an introductions game with balloons, which was super fun with lots of laughing. Its so very true that people have many more similarities than they do differences Рhere I am across the Atlantic and goofy circle clapping games and balloons are still a major source of laughter and entertainment! To get to know one another we were paired up and just walked around or went somewhere to talk to that person. I had a really nice time talking to Fabrice, a very experienced Animateur, whose French was very comprehensible. Sr. Gis̬le led us through a little reflection about why we are here, for whom are we becoming Animateurs, do our lives imitate Christ's, do we strive to be His disciples? It was mostly in French, so I was able to follow along without much difficulty. It was so beautiful to see the Animateur's nonverbal responses Рthey all had this genuine look about their faces of true peace, and a true desire to be Animateurs because they love God
Then came Fr. Antoine's talk about Christmas, which is what Patronage is preparing the little kids for. This was all in Kinyarwanda. So I decided I would pray for everyone. I prayed for all of our Animateurs, each by name, then for Patronage, then for St. Paul's and for many friends and dear ones back in Madison and at home. I was filled with sooo much joy – as I was remembering all these things about home, I didn't feel at all homesick or like I was missing my comfortable social sphere. Instead, I looked at where I was – here in this smallish building with a bare cement floor and long wooden benches and a little bird walking around pecking stuff and I can't understand any of what is being said. But this is exactly where I am supposed to be. This is where I belong – I have been given specific qualities so that I can do exactly this – be a friend, be energetic, be Christian, be present – to people who don't own much, but have much inner beauty. Yes, home and St. Paul's are wonderful places from which came irreplaceable, unique, wonderful memories. But this is now; this is Muhato Parish in Gisenyi, Rwanda, and this is where I belong. What a good place to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment