Wednesday, November 4, 2009

First time outside of compound

Went on a photo-walk with Michel – he has been such a good friend to me! He wanted to go up on one of the hills and take a picture of me in front of the mission. So up he went, and me just being an airhead I forgot to take a picture of him atop the hill! He laughed it off and did not show any outward anger – what a good man. I apologized a bunch of times, and he said, "Well you know what, we're just gonna have to go back up there!" So we went! The view was spectacular! For me, what was even more spectacular were the children! White people are called "Muzungu," so whenever they see you they're like "Muzungu! Muzungu! Bonjour!" or they'll throw in any other French or English words they know. This one little girl kept saying "How are you? How are you?" One girl asked what my name is (I always introduce myself as Jacqueline, as I think the French pronunciation is easier for most people), and so they all kept saying "Jacqueline! Jacqueline!" and saying other things in Kinyarwanda that had my name inserted in them. Its like you're a celebrity and you haven't even done anything famous...the kids just love the heck out of you and follow you everywhere and copy everything you do and say. So there were probably 20 little African kids following us on this hike. It made me very grateful for what I have - the hike was on an unpaved, narrow path with lots of rocks. Many of these kids did not have shoes on, and all of them had extremely tattered, torn clothes. They also don't have any kleenex, and they have really runny noses. One little girl picked up a rusty tin can filled with who knows what, and I immediately said "No, leave that there!" (in English, which means she had no idea what I said) but then I realized that they probably find gross things on the side of the road all the time and pick them up and play with them. I hope I can come back here one day after I'm done with med school and treat these little dears for any sicknesses that they might (and probably do) have.

It was such a joyful walk, I wanted to stay and play with them. They copy everything, and they've already learned "Row row row your boat" and "twinkle twinkle little star" from the other volunteers, so when I started singing they joined right in! And if I lost my balance a little bit and let out a "whooo!" or any other random noise, they'd repeat it. And they all wanted to hold my hands. They were actually getting kind of aggressive with each other...it worried me a bit. They were awed at a bracelet I had on, and one girl was just kind of petting my arm...a little wierd but mostly just cute. I did make sure to wash my hands and arms very well after I came in.

When we finally went inside the gate of the compound, (which is everythin with the blue rooftops as seen in the photo) they all crowded outside the fence and were still shouting "Jacqueline!" and other things that I didn't understand. Dominic, our fabulous gardener, had to shoo them away.

I trust Sr. Candide's judgment when she says that I should really get my rest now. She's seen many a volunteer not get enough rest at the beginning and then poop out during their teaching. So I've been trying to take naps and sleep in. Its hard though…I have too much excitement on my mind. And when I rationalize my way through it, I think I've already skipped the whole jetlag thing, and that I've naturally got enough energy to make it through a normal workday. But let me not assume anything – everyone says Sr. Candide knows best and is always right!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Mademoiselle Jaclyn Muzungu, I am very happy to hear from you and read your wonderful blog! I love the pictures and they really add depth to your excellent portrayal of the people and environment. Why am I not surprised that you would be running zumba classes in Rwanda? I eagerly await a photo of the blue-clothed sisters doing a cha-cha-cha. Is it warm in Kigali? It looks pretty tropical from your pics. That millipede was crazy-huge! I don't know if I would kill it or wear it as a belt if it crossed my path. Madison is unseasonally warm this week -highs in the 60's. Take care, Agnes

    ReplyDelete