Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Muhato daily Mass


I started today with daily Mass at Muhato parish, and it was the best possible way to begin the day! I've been pretty eager to get my usual spiritual routine going again, but I had to sleep in the first few days here rather than get up for 6:15am mass. Its in Kinyarwanda, so I don't understand a thing, but God is so steadfast and unchanging that He still comes into that little wafer at every Mass, no matter where I am around the world. Its so amazing…first of all, tons of people come. Basically the entire town came to daily Mass. And there are 4 altar servers (on a Monday!). The church is brand new, and there aren't pews or kneelers, just long wooden benches. And there are huge windows and the sun streams through in the most indescribable way!!!! There are no hymnals, just amazing songs that everyone knows by heart. There are only voices, clapping, and a drum. Everybody worships very freely here. Some people kneel down on the cement during the Consecration, others remain standing, others bend their knees on the bench in front of them. And …this is the best part…right after the Consecration, when the priest holds up the Host, everyone applauds! Here I am expecting the solemn silence we have at St. Paul's along with a nice profound bow, and instead there's cheering and clapping! I love it! One of the Sisters later explained to me that in Rwanda applause is how you welcome someone, and since the King of Kings is coming, we welcome Him all the more. And…this is another best part… during a song after Communion, lots of people are standing up and swaying, moving their arms, dancing in their "pew!!!" I hope that one day in the next 7 months I get the courage to stand up and join them.


and p.s. (there's really no fitting place for this picture, but how can I not share it?) - check out the African millipedes! They're actually the best kind of pede to run into. They can't move very fast, and if you poke them, they curl up into a little ball. Delightful!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I realy love reading your posts.
    Keep up the good work.

    Love Dadio

    ReplyDelete